Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
This document contains Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) regarding PMI,
Pune chapter, PMP-CAPM exams etc. If still questions are not answered
then please write to
Chapter website URL is www.pmipunechapter.org
currently chapter web site has basic features; along with the website,
we have presence in social media as well
What is a URL for the
Pune chapter Yahoo Group?
If I want to contact,
what are email ids?
- Past-President: Girish Kelkar
- President: Girish Kadam, PMP: email@example.com
- For Advertisement/Sponsorship: Marketing & Communications VP:
Rinoo Rajesh, PMP: firstname.lastname@example.org
- For Newsletter / Publications: Rinoo Rajesh, PMP: email@example.com
- For Memberships: Rinoo Rajesh, PMP: firstname.lastname@example.org
- For Seminar/Events: Program VP: Himanshu Warudkar, PMP:
- For PMP/CAPM Certification / Workshop : Development VP: Shyam Bhavsar, PMP : email@example.com
- For Academic Association/Partnership: Academic Interface http://www.linkedin.com/company/pmi-pune-deccan-india-chapter:
Jay Dholakia, PMP: firstname.lastname@example.org
- For Finance Related: Treasurer / Finance VP: Vikas Dixit: email@example.com
- For Administrative Queries: Secretary General : Omkar Gurjar, PMP:
- For General Information: Omkar Gurjar, PMP: firstname.lastname@example.org
- For Corporate Relations: Corporate Relations VP: Rahul Sudame,
- For International Initiatives / Chapter to Chapter Co-operation: International
Outreach VP: Sandeep Bhavsar, PMP: email@example.com
- For Reporting website errors : Rinoo Rajesh – Marketing@pmipunechapter.org
Is there any discussion
forum for PMP / CAPM exams ?
Yes, please join http://finance.groups.yahoo.com/group/PMI_Pune_Exam_Forum
for open discussion on the exams.
What is the URL of PMI
How do I become PMI
Member & PMI Pune-Deccan India Chapter member?
For PMI Membership:
Please complete a membership application at:
For PMI Pune-Deccan India Chapter membership:
When you fill PMI Membership form, it also asks you to add local chapter,
under Components (Chapters, SIGs, Colleges) section, Click on “Add Chapter”
button and add “PMI Pune-Deccan India Chapter”.
If you are already PMI Member and want to add PMI Pune-Deccan India Chapter,
then please login to member area,
URL : http://www.pmi.org/Pages/default.aspx
After login, visit this
URL : http://www.pmi.org/Marketplace/Pages/ProductDetail.aspx?GMProduct=00100130700
And then click on “Add to Cart” button, next click on “Checkout” button.
If above URL is not working then after login to PMI site, go to “Marketplace”
tab on the top right, Click on “Membership” link on the left pane, click
on “Chapter”, click on “Asia Pacific”, click on “India”, scroll down to
see “Pune-Deccan India Chapter”, click
on “View details”, click on “Add to Cart” button., next click on “Checkout”
Is it worth becoming a PMI member?
Quoted from PMI site:
No matter your career level, membership in Project Management Institute
makes you stand out from the crowd. PMI membership signifies that you
Deepen your involvement in and understanding of the profession by joining
PMI Member Groups. These provide additional networking opportunities,
specific content programs, publications and more.
Interest Groups (SIGs)— Industry- or interest-based organizations
Based on PMBOK?
Guide Knowledge Areas.
A Guide to the Project Management Body of Knowledge
(PMBOK? Guide) on CD-Rom & PMI Standards
eReads & Reference Online Book Program
- Access the full contents of select PMI books—and other leading project
management and business texts—and create bookmarks for future reference.
The eReads & Reference Online Book Program is powered by Books24x7?.
to begin browsing now.
PMI Members Area
Log in to the Members
Area to manage your membership and access important documents
available exclusively to members like yourself.
PMI Member Community
- Interact with other members through online discussions and surveys.
You can gain valuable information by sharing files and news items via
Region-Specific Electronic Newsletters
PMI Global Congress Registration
- Receive reduced registration rates for PMI's
Global Congresses, held around the world. Take part in stimulating
panel discussions, showcase presentations, revealing case studies, group
problem-solving and much more.
Research Conference Registration
- Take advantage of additional discounts to biennial PMI research
conferences that focus on project and program management
advances to professional knowledge and practice.
PMI Career Headquarters
- Job searching? Just testing the waters? Post your resume/curriculum
vitae on the Career
Headquarters Web site and search job postings for free.
- Or, if you're looking for a project management professional to fill
a job opening, you can receive a 50 percent discount on the job-posting
package. That also includes access to PMI's CareerLink
Directory, full of PMI member resumes.
Knowledge & Wisdom Center
PMI Publications, Products and Tools
Consult the latest edition of the PMI Project Management Salary Survey
online today at the
& Wisdom Center to see how your compensation compares to
those of 2,600 other professionals in the field.
- And visit PMI's
Online Bookstore to receive discounts on project-management-related
publications, products and training tools.
Is it worth becoming
a PMI Pune-Deccan India Chapter member?
Yes, the benefits are mentioned below.
Our Chapter is The FASTEST growing Chapter in Asia Region and
we are glad to inform you that it's also The Winner of 2007 PMI® Component
Award for Component of the Year (Chapter Category II) in the world.
Our Chapter events are also covered in
Our chapter membership fee is $10 ONLY. In return you get minimum
Rs. 1550/- (approx $40) for being a chapter member. So
you pay $10 and what you get it is minimum $40 in return.
If you decide to join the Chapter, the benefits are not just monetary,
there are other benefits which money can't buy. Here are the details of
the money the Chapter has given back to its registered / paid members.
- Year 2006 (Total saving approx
Rs. 27,605/- / approx $708 )
- On Target 2007 Conference fee was Rs. 1000/- for public whereas for
chapter member fee was Rs. 500/- ONLY. Saving of Rs. 500/-
- A paid member was given a product of value $695 ABSOLUTELY FREE
- Year 2007 (Total saving Rs.
1550/- / approx $40 )
- Chapter T-Shirt price was Rs. 300/- for pubic whereas for chapter
members it was Rs. 250/-.
Saving Rs. 50/-
- Chapter PMP Preparatory workshop fee is Rs. 14,000/- for public whereas
for chapter member fee is Rs. 13,000/-. Saving of Rs. 1,000/-
- On Target 2008 Registration fee is Rs. 1500/- whereas for chapter
member fee is Rs. 1000/-. Saving of Rs. 500/-
How do I become member, if I don't have credit
card to fill online membership application.
There is an option of filling membership application hardcopy and sending
by post to PMI.
Asia Pacific Applicants Return Completed
Form with U.S. Dollar Payment to:
Project Management Institute, Asia Pacific Service Centre
73 Bukit Timah Road, #03-01 Rex House
Or fax to: +65 6336 2263
METHOD OF PAYMENT: Payment
must accompany application. Purchase Orders are not accepted.
We accept checks or money orders made payable
to PMI in euro or U.S. dollars drawn on a U.S. bank,
bank transfers or the following credit cards:
VISA | MasterCard | American Express
| Diners Club | Discover
Card Number _____________________________________________
Exp. Date _______ /_______
Do not send cash.
Please remit total payment in one currency, U.S. dollar or Euro.
PMI is an individual membership organization. All membership fees
are nonrefundable, nontransferable and subject to change.
Payment can be done by sending checks / money order in US dollar.
You can download soft copy of membership application form from chapter
under Files / Membership / GMC_MembershipApplication.pdf Please
printout of it or you can take original hard copy of membership application
form from chapter office at address below :
Office No. 5, Achyut Prasad, Phatak Baug,
Near Tech Mahindra, CTS No. 11/1, Plot No. 9/1,
Erandawane, Pune, Maharashtra 411016, India
Telephone : +91-9922909060
How frequently chapter
member held meeting? Which day and normally what time?
- We have seminars on every 2nd Saturday. Apart from this we do also
have seminar with our seminar partners like CSI & QAI. Venue is not
fixed, it would be declared in seminar invitation.
How many members are
there in the chapter?
- We have strong base of 9000+ members
and it's growing rapidly. In members we have people right from Project
Managers to CEOs, though chapter is at Pune India, we do have few members
across continents. It's been told to us that we are fastest growing
chapter in the region.
Can I sponsor something
to the chapter ?
Yes, there are many things available for sponsorship, contact our Marketing
& Communications VP, firstname.lastname@example.org
Can I publish advertisement
of my company in chapter's Newsletter?
Yes, contact our Marketing & Communications VP,
Is Academic Partnership
available for R.E.P. / colleges?
Yes, contact our Academic Interface VP,
A Professional Development Unit (PDU) is the measuring unit used to quantify
approved learning and professional service activities related to project
management. One (1) PDU is earned for every one hour spent in a planned,
structured learning experience or activity. Fractions of PDUs may be reported
as .25 increments following one full hour.
How to claim PDUs after
publishing my article in Chapter Newsletter?
You will get PDU letter from our Marketing & Communication VP, after
receiving the letter, to claim PDUs.
It will show you screen as below :
- PMI ID Number: This individual identification number
is assigned to record a PMP's information with PMI. The PMI identification
number is required when a PMP reports PDU activity. Individuals who
do not know their PMI identification number should contact PMI Customer
Service (+1 610- 356-4600 or email@example.com) and have their PMP number
(see below) available. PMPs who are also PMI members have been given
their PMI identification number as their membership number.
- PMP Cert Number: This unique number is located on
each individual's PMP certificate. It is listed as the "Certification
Number" and is used to identify individual certifications.
- Password: Enter the first four characters of your
last name / surname.
Select “PMI PDU Self Report Form” option button to report PDUs. “PMI
Transcript” option button is to view reported PDUs.
After login you will see screen as below.
Select option as shown above (Category 2sdl: Self-directed Learning) and
click on Continue.
It will show you following screen
Enter information as shown in sample above.
Bottom part of the screen is below.
List the human and/or material resources used to accomplish the purposes
of your activity and the hours involved with them specific to the learning
task. Total Number of PDUs: (Formula: 1 hour of self-directed learning
equals 1 PDU) Insert PDU total from this work sheet in item #5 of PMP
How to claim PDUs after
attending a chapter seminar?
PMI Pune-Deccan India chapter organizes seminars on second Saturday of
each month. All the PMP attendees in these seminars receive PDU letter
from Programs VP based on the actual duration of the seminar (excluding
time for chapter introduction and other announcements). The attendees
are expected to sign the attendance sheet and based on it, Pune chapter
awards PDU letters. Based on these letters, PMPs can claim PDUs online.
The screen shot is included above.
Select following PDU category: “Category 3: Registered Education Provider
program/PMI Component Event”.
This screen displays 3 options. Select Option 3: “Search by the R.E.P.
Number/PMI Component ID Number”. Enter following provider id: C307 and
click: “Get Programs for this provider”.
Click “1 to 2 PDU Event” button on “Category 3 Claim: course details”
On “PDU Activity Report” page, provide all the required details. You will
find the details (like event title, date, PDUs earned etc) in the PDU
Specify whether course objectives were met and click the “I Agree” check
box and click on “Preview” button.
Check all the details on “Submission Page”, go back to previous page if
required and once finalized, click “Finalize submission” button and subsequent
confirmation alert. This will register your PDU claim.
When my PDUs would be
- PDU claim is verified by PMI and then the PDUs are updated in the
PDU Transcript summary, the PDUs are not reflected immediately. It may
take usually 1 week for the claim to reflect. Do not submit multiple
claims for same event. The online “Transcript of Continuing Education
Activities” can be viewed from member's area.
- PMPs may submit PDU claims up to twelve months after the expiration
date of the cycle in which the activities were completed. This applies
to credits needed for the minimum requirements of the cycle and any
transferable credits earned in the cycle. Note: All of the required
PDUs must be completed and reported no later than the cycle expiration
date to avoid suspension.
- PDU transcript is only intended for Project Management Institute
(PMI) use. It is not intended for any other academic/development evaluation
as the items it contains are based on participant submissions.
I attended a seminar, but
have not received a PDU letter, whom should I contact?
- PDU Letter would be sent to all the seminar attendees by the Programs
VP. The letter would be sent only to the PMPs who sign the attendance
sheet provided at the seminar. If you do not receive the PDU letter
within 1 week after the seminar, you can contact Programs VP:
firstname.lastname@example.org. We request all the attendees to provide the updated
contact information so that the PDU letters can be received properly.
I want to present a seminar,
whom should I contact?
- If you are interested in presenting a seminar at PMI Pune or if you
would like to recommend someone for presenting a seminar, you can contact
Programs VP: email@example.com.
- All the queries regarding seminar, PDUs, suggestions/feedback about
the seminar topic and speaker can be sent to Programs VP.
Can I claim seminar PDUs
for PMP exam?
- No. The PDUs awarded for attending the seminar are for current PMPs
only and cannot be used by people appearing for PMP exam (as a part
of 35 hours training requirement). People appearing the PMP exam need
to undergo specific hours of training from REP (Registered Educational
What is the
best way to register for PMP certification?
Register through the PMI website,
group have PMP study material?
Yes, check the yahoo group's
FILES section, it has folder: PMP Certification Material
I want to
register through the mail. How long does it take me to get confirmation?
Prepare to wait for at least 3 weeks plus the mailing time from PMI to
your country and city.
Do I need
to wait for the confirmation letter from PMI to register for the exam?
Yes, because the confirmation letter contains a confirmation number, which
will be required to schedule the test.
What are the Certification
from www.pmi.org: (current as at October 2003 – for updated info, click
- Project Management Professional (PMP®)
- Initial Certification Fee – member of PMI in good standing ($405.00)
- Initial Certification Fee – non-member of PMI ($555.00)
- Re-Examination Fee – member of PMI in good standing ($275.00)
- Re-Examination Fee – non-member of PMI ($375.00)
- Certificate of Added Qualification (CAQ®)
- Examination and Re-examination Fee ($100.00)
- Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM™)
- Initial Certification Fee – member of PMI in good standing ($225.00)
- Initial Certification Fee – non-member of PMI ($300.00)
- Re-Examination Fee – member of PMI in good standing ($150.00)
- Re-Examination Fee – non-member of PMI ($220.00)
Is it worth it to
become a PMI member when preparing for PMP certification?
- Yes, the difference in the exam fee covers up for the membership fee
and the membership gives you some benefits too. Check PMI Membership
- As a new PMI member, you will pay $129.00 (made up of $119.00 PMI
membership and $10.00 "New Member Application Fee"). You will also need to pay
$10.00 for PMI Pune-Deccan India Chapter membership.
- Now, the PMP exam costs $555.00 if you are not a member and $405.00
if you are a member. The difference is $150.00 which right there covers
your membership expense. Now begin to factor in the free publications,
discounts on courses, and books and so on for being a member. There
is no question that being a member of PMI BEFORE you take the exam is
all advantage and no disadvantage.
What is the waiting
period for web registration?
- Many receive e-mail confirmation of their eligibility within 1 day.
Compared to the mail registration, this is almost instant
How long can you
wait after getting your eligibility notice?
- You must take your certification test within 12 months of confirmation
of eligibility. PDUs cannot be accumulated until after certification.
How many hours
of study do I need?
- It depends on how well you already know the subjects for certification.
Approx 100 to 200 hours.
How long is the
prep time for PMs taking PMP?
- Many quoted from 1 – 2 months of time to study. Note that some that
3-6 months and even years. Again this is situational and depends on
What is the best
way for me to get those 35 hours training required to register for the
- First contact your PMI Pune-Deccan India Chapter. They can direct
you to a cost effective training institution or to their own PMP Courses
What are the PMI
recommended reading for PMP exam?
Quoted from PMI web site:
The following publications are resources that PMP certification candidates
can use to gain information on project management theory, principles,
techniques, and procedures. This list of resources includes both PMI®
and commercial publications. Although these are recommended readings,
simply studying these books does not suggest that exam candidates can
pass the PMP Examination. These resources are meant to complement a candidate's
overall plan of study.
- Guide to the Project Management Body of Knowledge (PMBOK® Guide)
- PMP Exam Prep by Rita Mulcahy (RMC Publications)
- Project Management Professional Role Delineation Study
- PMP Exam Practice Test and Study Guide
- Project Management: A Systems Approach to Planning, Scheduling
- PMP Certification Handbook
- Code of Professional Conduct
Can you give me
some details on the PMP examination?
Quoted from PMI web site:
The PMP Examination measures the application of knowledge, skills, tools
and techniques that are utilized in the practice of project management
and is based on the PMP Examination Specification that details the percentage
of questions contained in each performance domain (Initiating, Planning,
Executing, Monitoring and Controlling, and Controlling, Closing, and Professional
and Social Responsibility).
The examination is comprised of 200 multiple-choice questions, of which
25 are considered pretest questions. Pretest questions are randomly placed
throughout the exam and do not affect the candidate's score. They are
used in examinations as an effective and legitimate way to increase the
number of future examination questions.
The allotted time to complete the examination is four hours. The four-hour
examination is preceded by a 15-minute computer tutorial, which is not
part of the allotted four hours.
PMP Examination questions:
- Are developed and validated by global work groups of content experts
- Are referenced to current resources from project management textbook
- Are monitored through psychometric analysis, and
- Satisfy the test specifications of a job analysis
- The passing score for the PMP Examination is determined by a criterion-referenced
approach called the Modified Angoff Technique, a certification industry
standard practice relying on the collective judgments of groups of PMP
certificants from around the globe.
Do I need more than
the PMBOK to pass the exam?
for more details.
Yes. Although some people with lots of experience use only the PMBOK,
most users of this group find invaluable the aid of a couple of additional
books. In addition to that, most PMP prep books come with exercises and
some with CDs for test simulation. It's up to you but strongly recommended
that you use more than the PMBOK for preparation.
Can someone provide
me the links of free sample questions available in the web?
Check the yahoo group's
FILES section, it has folder: PMP Certification
Then: www.boson.com has a free demo that has 3 tests of 12 questions each
has a free tutorial and quiz for each knowledge area
It's free but you have to register.
here's another online practice test
a free sample test (credit for FAQ13 Karen Herbert)
Where can I get
the free PMI PMP exam sample problems?
Need Help on filling
Please refer to the How to fill exam form.zip file on yahoo group's
under FILES section.